Thursday, May 23, 2013

Mental Illness DOES Define Who I Am

As I market my book and network my Facebook page, I keep seeing a statement that others with mental illness proudly display, "Mental illness does not define me!"

At first, I had the following thoughts:
  • That is so true. I am so much more than my depression and anxiety.
  • I wish those who perpetuate the stigma of mental illness could look past my mental illness to see that I am so much more.
  • Even though I have written a book about my experience doesn't mean that my mental illness consumes all that I am.
  • In my attempt to achieve mental health, I think about, talk about, and do so many additional things that have nothing to do with my mental illness.
However, the more I think about this phrase, the more I come to the conclusion that my mental illness DOES define me.

I have come to a very positive acceptance that my mental illness is inseparably connected with who I am and influences all that I think, say, and do.

And, I am better for it.

Because of my experience with postpartum depression and anxiety:
  • I feel a greater love for those around me and am better able to accept people who think, say, and do things differently than I do.
  • I consider compassion when dealing with others.
  • I’m more forgiving, understanding that most people are doing the very best they can.
  • I am grateful for a second chance at life, still sharply remembering how debilitating a life with mental illness can be at times.
I would not trade my after-mental-illness self for the world.

God is great!

Much love,
Beca Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment